Wednesday, April 25, 2007

B-day goofing off

It never ceases to amaze me that there seems to be a dog hair in almost every good picture I get! This basket brooch was among the goodies I got at the flea market this past weekend. So many bargains! I can't get over the detail, every mark on this pin was struck by hand. The basket is hollow soldered 3-d construction, so cool. The way it's put together is incredibly detailed and the pearls have subtle pretty color, each unique. Each is half drilled and set individually. I took a silver-smithing class a long time ago. Maybe that's why I appreciate this kind of work so much. I found working with sterling stressful!! So easy to make a mistake while soldering and ruin the whole thing. such unique construction.
Today is my birthday. A number of great things happened to me today. Even though I had to renew my driver's license today I only waited 5 minutes for my number to be called. The picture is terrible but aren't they all? My dad brought me a hilarious card that plays accordion music that made the dogs go insane; which was also hilarious. Dave took me to lunch and I won 10 dollars of our bill by picking a number out of a hat. At the little thrift shop near the registry I found this incredible 1950's pink and brown vintage Brother sewing machine. It works really well, they made great sewing machines in the 50's...So much better than the plastic crap they are putting out today. This baby weighs about 40 pounds! Dave also bought me a super fancy pink and brown chocolate cake for after lunch.
I also heard from many of my favorite folks with happy birthday wishes and messages.

I did manage to get something done this morning. This is part of a Crazy cakes order going to Magpie in Boston A really hip place which supports all sorts of indie designers and DIY crafters.
More soon...Emily


No comments: